[mythtv] Re: ATI AIW support

Grant Taylor mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:49:45 -0400

>> The AIW series cannot currently do this on Linux, due to the way
>> the drivers are structured.  The hardware may well be able to.

> Which TV card currently has this support in Linux ? How do I get a
> list of that ?

Most probably do; there's a standard API for them to support, and the
AIW code is a little unusual for not working this way.

Most (all?) mythtv users appear to be using brooktree 848 based cards,
and derivatives.  These have the most mature driver support in Linux.
AFAICT there's no reason any other card properly supporting the V4L
APIs wouldn't work as well, but somehow the world isn't full of
reports about those.

Currently there are two variants of "Hauppage WinTV PCI" cards sold in
the $50 price range which will just work (one has a FM radio tuner).
The retail packaging features a clear picture of the bt848 chip on the
card, but most nowadays seem to feature later and better variations
like the 878.  Many other brands and flavors of card are also based on
these chips, but this is what I've got (I got it at circuit city two
weeks ago).

Issac's card is described in detail on his web page, replete with a
link to best buy.  I expect it also cost something like $50.  So
that's two choices there.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
    Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/