[mythtv] Good Inexpensive capture card?

David Hunnisett mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:07:32 +0100

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:03:04PM -0700, Jeremy Oddo wrote:

> > You then need to control the digibox external and again not too sure how
> > to do this in mythtv
> > my digibox has ether and rs232 but the ether does not appear to do
> > anything and i have not yet tried the RS232 so i hope it can be
> > controlled from that.
> > The other way is to make a remote control see lirc but again not sure
> > how mythtv would do the controll as you would have to call an external
> > program to change channel.
> >
> OK, now I'm REALLY confused!  I thought that MythTV could change the
> channel for me...is this not the case?!  What's the use of having XMLTV if
> it's just for a guide?  I can look up all the guide info on Yahoo, and
> figure out what I want to tape (like what I'm doing with my VHS).  If it
> doesn't change the channel, then vacation recording is impossible.  Does
> this set-up just not work with digital cable?  My other option is to spend
> $50 to get DishNetwork, then an extra $50 for their Tivo-type PVR.
>
> So, I guess I go back to my old question....  I currently have digital
> cable here in America.  Is MythTV just a pipedream for me?
>

> Confused as hell!
> Jeremy

soory to confuse
ok if u jst have digital then yes i thinks its a pipe dream unless you
can figure out a way of controlling the digibox from mythtv but i dont
know how to do this and if u know then please tell me :)
but you may be able to use mythtv on some channels (what i do)
if u can get  analog channels