[mythtv] Good Inexpensive capture card?

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

> You then need to control the digibox external and again not too sure how
> to do this in mythtv
> my digibox has ether and rs232 but the ether does not appear to do
> anything and i have not yet tried the RS232 so i hope it can be
> controlled from that.
> The other way is to make a remote control see lirc but again not sure
> how mythtv would do the controll as you would have to call an external
> program to change channel.

OK, now I'm REALLY confused!  I thought that MythTV could change the
channel for me...is this not the case?!  What's the use of having XMLTV if
it's just for a guide?  I can look up all the guide info on Yahoo, and
figure out what I want to tape (like what I'm doing with my VHS).  If it
doesn't change the channel, then vacation recording is impossible.  Does
this set-up just not work with digital cable?  My other option is to spend
$50 to get DishNetwork, then an extra $50 for their Tivo-type PVR.

So, I guess I go back to my old question....  I currently have digital
cable here in America.  Is MythTV just a pipedream for me?

Confused as hell!
Jeremy