[mythtv] Hardware advice (Via Eden Board) / Video Card.

Tony Clark mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:26:42 +0100

On Monday 25 November 2002 23.09, Jeremy Oddo wrote:

> I'd say the biggest problem with most people is the sound--you really need
> to be able to use ALSA sound.  IMO, it's wise to get "popular"
> sound/video/capture cards as those are usually the ones that have proper
> drivers.

No offence but I find ALSA to be a major PITA.  I'm using a soundblaster live
card with OSS.  Simple and it works.  You make need to tell kde to use OSS
and not auto detect sound.

I would really love to get my SMP athlon quiet.  I have tried various fans for
the few extra bucks, different cpu coolers and PSUs.  You can make them
liveable with but not sleepable.  I've also been thinking about a low noise
solution just for this and ínstall something to make the output streaming or
just use a remote xterm.

Tony

my 1Kr worth :)
--