[mythtv] Playback optimization..

Emil Friis mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:48:50 -0800 (PST)

Damn... Playback of both 640x480 and 480x480 files recorded
at 3300 bitrate never goes above 2.5% on my Athlon XP 2000+.
Not sure exactly what it was before but I know it was more.
Now a lot of the time top actually uses more cpu.

Another issue... I have some problems recording 2 shows at
the same time (480x480 @ 3300). One show gets recorded just
fine while the other seems to be recorded in slow-motion.
I'm suspecting that I may have io problems writing to the
drive since I still have ~10% cpu idle. Is there any way of
monitoring throughput on the IDE bus?

-Emil

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:24:39 -0800 (PST), Isaac Richards
wrote:

> I just committed a patch by (mostly) Matt Zimmerman that
> really improves the
> speed of video playback when using mpeg4.  rtjpeg is also
> improved a little,
> but not nearly as much..  Basically, it removes extra
> full-framesize copies
> from the playback pipeline.  So, this drops the CPU used in
> live-tv mode down
> under 70% on my XP 1800+ with mpeg4 @ 3300 bps, 640x480,
and
> it bottoms out
> below 60% at times, depending on the scene.  The rtjpeg
> codec is helped as
> well, but not quite to the same degree.
>
> Anyway, I think I've gotten all the bugs worked out of
this,