[mythtv] newbie, haven't even compiled yet...

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:08:52 -0400

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 01:02 pm, Andrew C. Ohnstad wrote:
> My theater uses a front projector with a VGA input.
> As such I have the output of my computer's video card
> hooked up to the projector for an approx 9 foot wide
> computer screen.  :)  (You can see pictures at
> http://www.geekess.org/theater/ )

Heh, cool.  I've been wanting a projector, but I need to finish the basement,
first.

> Will Mythtv output via regular VGA?  Does it run over
> X?  Can it be completley fullscreened (no title bar,
> menu bar, etc.)

Yup to all 3 questions.  I spend most of the time testing things
on a normal monitor, as it's easier to edit text than on a TV..  The
current release is limited to 800x600, but there's currently code in
CVS to handle other screen sizes..  I just have it disabled, because
it causes some problems in the program guide that I haven't
bothered to fix yet.

> Also, consider a feature request...  I'll be using
> this product with a DirectTV satelite reciever.  If
> Myth could TRANSMIT IR codes via a serial port
> connected IR flasher to change channels for recording
> and watching that would be incredible.  So far I have
> only found one product that does that (closed source
> for windows, $$$, and only works with UK tv listings:(

A lot of the support for this is done already, it just needs
someone to finish it off.  If you're interested in doing that,
I can let you know what all needs to be done.  Nothing
very difficult, really.

Isaac