[mythtv] System Plans

Nathan Ziarek mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:42:50 -0600

As a total Fellow Newbie...I was told to stay away from Debian as it is
more complicated...however, if you are just a newbie to Linux and know a
good deal about hardware, etc, then that might just be the best option
for you. I tried to stay simple for the initial attempt.

I've tried RedHat 8 (pretty simple, although getting the ALSA drivers
working wasn't too easy) and now I am on to Mandrake 9...I got it
working on that with onboard Sound. The Picture sucks, but that is for
another thread...

Go to MythTV.org and use the link to the searchable archives to look up
that nVidia tool...I haven't gotten that far in my development yet, but
it has been talked about.

Oh, and make sure you use the How-Tos...especially for Mandrake (and
RedHat, if you go that route), those guys have done an awesome job.

I don't know about your hardware components, as I have an Althon XP
1600+ and I can't get one tuner to not react sluggishly, but other have
it running fine on a Celery 500...go figure...

Good Luck

Nate