[mythtv] System Plans

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:48:26 -0500

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:31:12PM -0600, Syclone wrote:

> As for which distro of Linux, I think I'll try Debian, since that seems
> popular here.  Any reason a newbie should pic another for a box that will
> be running MythTV and little else?

Debian may not be the best choice if you are new to Linux; there are others
which are much easier to install with no previous Linux knowledge.  In
particular, the current Debian installer requires that you manually select
device drivers for your hardware, which can be confusing if you do not know
which drivers you need, while the friendlier distributions will do
autodetection.

On the other hand, MythTV is much easier to install on Debian, if you use
the pre-packaged debs.

--
 - mdz