[mythtv] compile, permissions, font sizes, and suggestions

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:12:48 -0400

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 05:59 pm, Ettus, Matt wrote:
> Hi.  I just found MythTV the other day, and I must say that I love what I
> see.  There a couple of issues I've run into.
>
> First, when compiling, there are a lot of QT-related warnings, mostly about
> passing floats to methods expecting ints.  Is this normal, or do I need to
> upgrade something?  The compile completes ok, and everything seems to run.

Normal, that's the code that handles the full screen scaling.

> Second, settings.  There seems to be 3 places where data is kept,
> /usr/local/share/mythtv (settings), the database, and ~/.mythtv.  The last
> one presents a problem, as multiple users usually can't share that
> directory, so the station logos don't work with other users.  The logos
> could be kept in the database, or the share directory.

The station logos are a whole 200k on my box, I don't think it matters that
they can't be shared.  I moved 'em to the user's homedir, as people were
running filldata as non-root and neglected to modify the permissions on the
share dir.  I'd rather keep the database to be just text data, too..  Also,
the whole setup's not meant for multiple users, so =)

> Third, my TV output quality is not so great, because of the hardware, so
> small fonts are hard to read.  Is it possible to increase the font size on
> screens which are not controlled by the global.menu file?

Possibly.  It's all hardcoded for now.

> Fourth, before I set up the xmltv database, I was able to run the live tv
> viewer from mythfrontend, but it would (of course) hang when I tried to
> change channels.  Now that the database is set up, if I run mythfrontend,
> the other features seem to work, but it won't let me run the live TV
> viewer. The main screen goes away, and then comes back.  I can still run
> mythtv, but it still hangs when I try to change channels.  Any ideas?

Recompile with debugging turned on (make clean, edit settings.pro in the
obvious way, re-make everything), run it in gdb, make it hang, do a
backtrace, send it to me.

> Fifth, when starting up live viewing, it goes to whatever random channel
> the capture card goes to.   This gives me snow and loud noise.  If it went
> to the last channel I was on, or the first channel in the list, this could
> be avoided.

When it starts up live viewing, it always starts on channel 3.  I suppose I
can make that first on the list..  If it's not able to change what channel
the tuner's set to, it _should_ complain about that.

> Sixth, I have a local mp3 and ogg directory with like 30 songs.  When I
> start mythmusic, it seems to process forever, but it doesn't seem to be
> reading from disk.

Might want to stick some debugging statements in, say, the CheckFile()
function to show what filenames it's looking at..  I'm eventually going to
stick in some progress bars for different places where the music stuff does
take time to do things (freedb lookups, the search at startup, etc).

> oh, and I forgot, filldata/grabdata, etc. don't get installed.  filldata
> also relies on the path to grabdata being ./, so you have to be in the right
> directory to run it.

Right, pretty sure I noted this in the readme.

Isaac