[mythtv] mythmusic feedback

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:39:00 -0400

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:00 pm, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> this might be useless due to my particular setup, but here is my feedback
> for mythmusic.
>
> my setup: mysql is on my server and all my mp3's are an a samba share on
> the server that the workstations mount for access.  I have >3G of mp3's.
>
> when I first started mythmusic, i was expecting it to take a few minutes
> (as per the email) so it could read the info from the music.  What I wasnt
> prepared for was the 48+ hours it took.  Im assuming this has something
> (alot) to do with my setup?  also, it just stopped numerous times during
> the initial "read-the-mp3-data-and-put-it-into-mysql" phase.

Wow.  hehe.  I'll have to check the MP3 decoder library to see how much of the
file it's reading just to get the id3 tag.  It wouldn't matter much if it was
reading the entire file in if the files were on a local filesystem, but
across a network, that'd be killer.

> after the data-import was done, my regular user cannot use it.  mm starts,
> show the gui for half a sec, then goes away.  only root can use it.  even
> though my reg. user has full permissions on the audio device, etc.

I _think_ this is because what's in CVS currently needs mythmusic-settings.txt
in the current working directory where you ran mythmusic from.  I can run it
as a user just fine with my current tree (not yet in CVS), where I've got it
reading the settings file from /usr/local/share/mythtv/

> as to the playlists...where is it supposed to keep the play list?  I ask
> because after a restart ( I know, the ideal use would be having it run
> constantly....) my playlists disappear.

It doesn't even attempt to save your playlist yet.  I've been trying to come
up with a decent UI for saving a playlist -- basically, it's something I
think would happen semi often, and would really not want to have to drop down
to requiring a keyboard to name your new playlist.

> is there a way to get it to queue a certain amount before it plays the
> song?  playing songs is very choppy atm.  If not (due to the fact that it
> isnt meant to be used over a network) its understandable.

Yeah, there's absolutely no buffering of the input for grabbing files from
over a network.  I'll see what I can do 'bout that, but no promises on
timeframe.

> other than that, things are pretty nice.

Great.

Thanks,
Isaac