[mythtv-users] Running mythcommflag on another PC?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 18:48:13 UTC 2024

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024, 12:09 p.m. Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2024 17:35, Ian Evans wrote:
> > Just drinking coffee and a random mythtv musing struck me: is it
> > possible to run mythcommflag on another PC so as not to bog down a PC
> > doing multiple recordings.
> >
> > Say you have your main mythbox with its recording drives, but you
> > archive older recordings to a NAS with storage directories. And you
> > have a small computer on your network that does odd jobs like DNS,
> > Home Assistant, etc. Could you run mythcommflag on just the archived
> > recordings on that pc at a relaxed pace? :)
> >
> > Again, random coffee musing. Maybe the answer is "a X Gen intel/amd
> > won't break a sweat mythcommflagging dozens of recordings, just limit
> > the time to overnight."
>
> Yes.
>
> Run a slave backend on the other computer. It doesn't need any tuners,
> but it does need access to the recording drives. You can configure the
> kinds of jobs it is capable of running, how many of them at the same
> time etc. If you want commflagging to run only on that other machine
> then disallow commflagging on the main backend.
>
> Thanks. I see that it can be run with a - -file input. So I'm assuming if
you run it from a script against just the files in the archive storage it
finds the recording in the database that way? Is there also a way a script
can detect if a file has already been Flagged? (Barring that, I guess the
script could always move files from /storagedirunflagged to
/storagedirflagged.