[mythtv-users] Running mythcommflag on another PC?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 17:08:23 UTC 2024

On 02/03/2024 17:35, Ian Evans wrote:
> Just drinking coffee and a random mythtv musing struck me: is it
> possible to run mythcommflag on another PC so as not to bog down a PC
> doing multiple recordings.
>
> Say you have your main mythbox with its recording drives, but you
> archive older recordings to a NAS with storage directories. And you
> have a small computer on your network that does odd jobs like DNS,
> Home Assistant, etc. Could you run mythcommflag on just the archived
> recordings on that pc at a relaxed pace? :)
>
> Again, random coffee musing. Maybe the answer is "a X Gen intel/amd
> won't break a sweat mythcommflagging dozens of recordings, just limit
> the time to overnight."

Yes.

Run a slave backend on the other computer. It doesn't need any tuners,
but it does need access to the recording drives. You can configure the
kinds of jobs it is capable of running, how many of them at the same
time etc. If you want commflagging to run only on that other machine
then disallow commflagging on the main backend.

HTH, Jan