[mythtv-users] Creating user "mythtv" before installing mythtv

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 1 16:05:02 UTC 2024

On 01/03/2024 15:32, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 3/1/24 07:58, James Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> It was pointed out that deb-multimedia's version of mythtv v34 from stable-backports has an
>> additional line in the systemd service, mythtv-backend.service.
>>
>> Environment=HOME=/var/lib/mythtv
>>
>> When I created my user 'mythtv' before installing mythtv I used:
>>
>> sudo addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
>> sudo adduser --ingroup mythtv --home /home/mythtv --shell /bin/bash --uid 200 mythtv
>>
>> This was causing the mythtv Web App to use an incorrect mythconverg password, 'mythv' and it would
>> not connect to the database.
> Do you mean mythweb? The web app is the new page on port 6544 in V34. mythweb is deprecated. The web
> app does not use the database.

I should point out that if you're going to add a new user the UID and GID should be (a free value)
greater than 1000, since values below 1000 are reserved for processes installed by the system (apt
etc). Mine are set (arbitrarily) at 1006/1006 but that is because I have other things going on.
Similarly, I have a 'NAS' which shares files through NFS using 1010/1010.

Nice catch about the environment variable, though. Does systemd have to interfere with absolutely
everything?

--

Mike Perkins