[mythtv-users] Creating user "mythtv" before installing mythtv

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:54:53 UTC 2024

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 10:34 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/24 07:58, James Abernathy wrote:
>
> My previous discussion on this in Debian 12 with mythtv from deb-multimedia.org is buried in a long thread so I'm creating a new one with new information.
>
> It was pointed out that deb-multimedia's version of mythtv v34 from stable-backports has an additional line in the systemd service, mythtv-backend.service.
>
> Environment=HOME=/var/lib/mythtv
>
> When I created my user 'mythtv' before installing mythtv I used:
>
> sudo addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
> sudo adduser --ingroup mythtv --home /home/mythtv --shell /bin/bash --uid 200 mythtv
>
> This was causing the mythtv Web App to use an incorrect mythconverg password, 'mythv' and it would not connect to the database.
>
> Do you mean mythweb? The web app is the new page on port 6544 in V34. mythweb is deprecated. The web app does not use the database.

I was talking about the new Web App setup via localhost:6544 in v34

The web app is helpful in creating mythconverg by providing
instructions if it is not set up.  For Ubuntu installed by the PPA the
database is already set up before you run the web app to set up the
backend. So no issues. If you set up mythtv using deb-multimedia.org
(DMO) it works the same if you do not create your mythtv user ahead of
time.

The difference seems to be that mythtv on Debian installed by DMO puts
an extra environment statement in the mythtv-backend.service that
always points HOME=/var/lib/mythtv even when you change HOME to
/home/mythtv.

So this is not a Web App issue.  Sorry for the noise.

JIm A