[mythtv-users] Set top box capture in 2024.

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 19:34:17 UTC 2024

On 6/30/24 14:45, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> What do people do for capture from a set top box these days?

There are usb devices available for $10 - $20 that do a good job. I have
used them for 3 years now, with very few problems. The link below has my
scripts for using a fire stick as set top box. Any HDMI output could be
done the same way. Most of the code in that repository is for launching
the app and tuning the correct channel. if you already have a way of
changing channels it could be much simpler. This uses the external
recorder and ffmpeg to make recordings.

The restriction with the devices I use is that 1920x1080 is the maximum
resolution and the audio is stereo only, no surround sound. There may be
devices now that do support surround sound.

https://github.com/bennettpeter/MythTV-LeanCapture

Peter