[mythtv-users] Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 22:55:37 UTC 2024

On 1/17/24 11:32, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> The Leanfront works OK here. What I do like very much is that it is
> capable of switching the output frequency to match the frame rate of
> the video. This is something mythfrontend does with an NVida graphics
> card but what mythfrontend does not do with Intel graphics.
> I also like that it goes back to the Shield main menu without
> prompting "Are you really sure you do want to exit from this very
> wonderful app" which most other apps tend to do.
>
> There is of course also room for improvement:
> - Going back from playing a recording to the recordings menu, it first
> shows the page where you came from and then it repaints (?) itself
> together with an animation of the selected program. This is a bit
> annoying.
I don't know what you mean. After playback it normally goes first to the
detail screen where the episode details are shown, then pressing back
again gets to the list of recordings.
> - The program guide is hidden in a rather non-intuitive (for me...)
> location.
> - The program guide shows all channels for all video sources. This is
> OK if you have only one video source but not if you have more video
> sources. Also, it shows channels of video sources that are not
> connected to a capture card and hence can never be used. This was all
> fixed a long time ago in mythfrontend. This comment is about the same
> as what I gave on the initial version of the program guide for the new
> web frontend.
> - The first entry for the playback menu's is "All", the second one is
> Default. The first one shows the recordings but it shows also all live
> TV recordings that have been made. This is something I do not want to
> see. If, when playing live TV, I want to make a recording of it I do
> press the "R" and then it becomes a real recording.
>
> Altogether it is a nice piece of work!
>
> Hope this helps,
> Klaas.

Hi Klaas

Thank you for your comments and kind words.

The "Live TV" part of leanfront is a simple  implementation that does
not work the same as mythfrontend. It sets up a manual recording of 1
hour and then starts watching the recording. The time of 1 hour can be
changed in settings. After recording it you see a recording titled "Live
TV" rather than the actual program name. This was easier than the
interactions needed for the mythfrontend way of doing it.

If enough people are interested I could make Live TV work more like it
does in mythfrontend.

Excluding Live TV from the All row would be easy.

Did you use the localization, which was done with google translate? Are
the translations reasonable?

As far as the other suggestions, I may be able to make the changes if
you  would like to continue using leanfront. Open an issue in github for
leanfront and I can make the changes if they are feasible.

By the way, one thing that mythfrontend does not have, move up to the
magnifying glass icon, press it, and say the name of a show. It will
give back a list of matching recordings that you can play directly, and
matching shows in the guide that you can schedule directly.

Peter