[mythtv-users] Mythmusic issues.

Jan Hambrecht jaham at gmx.net
Thu Jan 4 11:19:41 UTC 2024

Am Dienstag, 12. Dezember 2023, 14:38:59 CET schrieb Paul Harrison:
> On 12/12/2023 05:49, David Hampton via mythtv-users wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-12-12 at 04:36 +0000, Timothy Witham wrote:

> >> Thanks for the database examples.  I'm not sure which ripper to
> >> recommend on Linux.  I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
> >> can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.
> >
> > I mainly use 'sound-juicer' to rip cds.  I occasionally use other
> > programs like 'k3b' and 'grip'.
> >
> > I love 'picard' for organizing files and retrieving metadata.  It takes
> > a minute or two to get is set up the way you want, but then its great.
> > It uses the MusicBrainz database, which is crowd sourced.
> >
> > David
>
> Many moons ago I started to add support for MusicBrainz to MythMusic but
> never completed it.
>

> There is already a python metadata helper script at
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadat
> a/Music/mbutils.py that can be used to lookup some of the data from MB
> including IIRC looking up the discid.
>
> The copy of the python MB bindings included with Myth are very old now
> and could do with updating which should be trivial to do. I seem to
> remember the problem with integrating the python script into MythMusic
> is it's an external script so the plugin would have to run an external
> process to do the lookup which I thought was rather messy. Somewhere I
> think I have a patch that used the c++ bindings to MB to do the lookup
> so everything could be done in the MythMusic plugin without having to
> call external scripts. Without looking at the code I'm not sure how far
> I got with it but if anyone is interested I could see if I can find the
> stash.
>

> Paul H.

Hi,

I've got a CD set as a christmas present and was motivated to look into the
issue. I managed to put something working together using the musicbrainz
C/C++ libs. The result can be seen in this PR: https://github.com/MythTV/
mythtv/pull/834. It pulls metadata and coverart for an audio CD and displays
that when playing the CD with the CD autoplay feature of MythMusic.

Ciao Jan