[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 11:29:33 UTC 2024

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 5:57 PM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 28/02/2024 21:18, James Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > Never mind. This was a permissions problem on the /mythtv directory. GID
> > and UID changed on me.
> >
> Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID (i)
> after doing a fresh
> install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have the
> same values on all
> backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home
> rather than down the /lib tree.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on a
Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org

If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the user
mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for
mythconverg.

This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on the
database and you can move on.

 However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home
/home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.

The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates a
random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml

Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into the
web app and restart the backend and things proceed.

This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.

Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with
mythtv from DMO

Jim A