[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:43:31 UTC 2024

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:08 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I've found what is missing.  In Debian 12 you have to add mythtv by adding the deb-multimedia repo per the stable-backports instructions.
>
> Then you:
>
> sudo apt-get -t stable-backports install mythtv libmythtv-perl
>
> Next you need sudo apt install libxml-simple-perl
>
> At this port mythtv backend and frontend can be configured and set up.
>
> Also optimize_mythdb.pl will work.  It needed the v34 libmythtv-perl and libxml-simple-perl

If you need to manually install additional
packages for things to work well, you
(well, the packager) needs to add those
packages to the dependency list as part
of the build.  While many build systems
auto-generate the dependencies for
perl and python sources, there are some
dependencies (probably including such
as those in the "contrib" area) for which
such auto generation will not occur.  I
know at least one other distro packaging
that has such additional dependencies
in their build recipe so those additional
libraries are pulled in.

You should let the packager know about
what they need to change their packages.