[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:06:23 UTC 2024

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 9:30 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> >In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
>> >Debian building the packages myself.  Today I tried to install on a fresh
>> >Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
>> >
>> >I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some
>> of
>> >the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
>> >Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
>> >
>> >It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
>> >
>> >jim at den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>> >optimize_mythdb.pl
>> >Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV
>> module)
>> >(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
>> >/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
>> >/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
>> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
>> >/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>> >optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>> >BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> >/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>> >
>> >I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the
>> dependencies
>> >using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done
>> that.
>> >
>> >JIm A
>>
>> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
>> package on Ubuntu.  I would also recommend installing the
>> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
>> find_orphans.py will also work.
>>
>> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
>> "apt-file find".  You have to install the apt-file package, and
>> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
>> package databases.
>>

> I just discovered using a VM with Debian 12 installed that libmythtv-perl
> in deb-multimedia.org exists for v33 but not 34.
>
> I've started an email thread with the deb-multimedia contact for
> dependency issues.
>
> JIm A

So I've found what is missing.  In Debian 12 you have to add mythtv by
adding the deb-multimedia repo per the stable-backports instructions.

Then you:

sudo apt-get -t stable-backports install mythtv libmythtv-perl

Next you need sudo apt install libxml-simple-perl

At this port mythtv backend and frontend can be configured and set up.

Also optimize_mythdb.pl will work.  It needed the v34 libmythtv-perl and
libxml-simple-perl

Jim A