[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Feb 27 23:21:34 UTC 2024

On 27/02/2024 22:54, James Abernathy wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
>>> Debian building the packages myself.  Today I tried to install on a fresh
>>> Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
>>>
>>> I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some
>> of
>>> the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
>>> Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
>>>
>>> It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
>>>
>>> jim at den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>>> optimize_mythdb.pl
>>> Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV module)
>>> (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
>>> /usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
>>> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
>>> /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>>> optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>>> /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>>>
>>> I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the
>> dependencies
>>> using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done
>> that.
>>>
>>> JIm A
>>
>> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
>> package on Ubuntu.  I would also recommend installing the
>> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
>> find_orphans.py will also work.
>>
>> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
>> "apt-file find".  You have to install the apt-file package, and
>> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
>> package databases.
>>

> Thanks for the information.  I decided that for me Debian's mythtv package
> on deb-multimedia is not as complete as the Ubuntu packaging.
>
> For this application it really doesn't matter whether I run Linux Mint or
> Linux Mint Debian Edition.
>
> I found that on Debian more offline work is needed to get the Database
> setup even with the Web App help.
>
> So for me I started over and installed LM21.3 and then Mythtv using the
> ppa.  I did install mariadb first; I always do that.
>
> Web App finds mythconverg already setup.  I got the backend/frontend
> working in about 15 minutes.  I use my systemd timer/service for
> mythfilldatabase to keep xmltv up to date.
>
> I use my version of your daily database check, optimize, and backup as a
> systemd timer/service.  I like that better than the weekly cron job.
>
> The Ubuntu package for mythtv is complete. I didn't find any missing
> dependencies.  All the maintenance scripts including find_orphans.py worked
> [...]
It must be the packaging of v34 on deb-multimedia that is wrong, then. I have used deb-multimedia
for years now and not had any problems with dependencies.

I would add that I am /not/ using any kind of Mint. My backend is a naked Debian server and doesn't
even run X11. All access is via ssh. The main frontend is set up as a 'kiosk' with only lightdm and
openbox. Maintenance of that is via ssh as well.

--

Mike Perkins