[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 23:36:07 UTC 2024

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 6:23 PM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 27/02/2024 22:54, James Abernathy wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12 PM Stephen Worthington <
> > stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> fresh

> some
> >> of

> below

> module)
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/

> >> dependencies
> >> that.

> >> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
> >> package on Ubuntu.  I would also recommend installing the
> >> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
> >> find_orphans.py will also work.
> >>
> >> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
> >> "apt-file find".  You have to install the apt-file package, and
> >> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
> >> package databases.
> >>

> > Thanks for the information.  I decided that for me Debian's mythtv
> package
> > on deb-multimedia is not as complete as the Ubuntu packaging.
> >
> > For this application it really doesn't matter whether I run Linux Mint or
> > Linux Mint Debian Edition.
> >
> > I found that on Debian more offline work is needed to get the Database
> > setup even with the Web App help.
> >
> > So for me I started over and installed LM21.3 and then Mythtv using the
> > ppa.  I did install mariadb first; I always do that.
> >
> > Web App finds mythconverg already setup.  I got the backend/frontend
> > working in about 15 minutes.  I use my systemd timer/service for
> > mythfilldatabase to keep xmltv up to date.
> >
> > I use my version of your daily database check, optimize, and backup as a
> > systemd timer/service.  I like that better than the weekly cron job.
> >
> > The Ubuntu package for mythtv is complete. I didn't find any missing
> > dependencies.  All the maintenance scripts including find_orphans.py
> worked
> > perfectly.
> >
> It must be the packaging of v34 on deb-multimedia that is wrong, then. I
> have used deb-multimedia
> for years now and not had any problems with dependencies.
>
> I would add that I am /not/ using any kind of Mint. My backend is a naked
> Debian server and doesn't
> even run X11. All access is via ssh. The main frontend is set up as a
> 'kiosk' with only lightdm and
> openbox. Maintenance of that is via ssh as well.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

If I could get the desktop on Debian to look as good as LMDE 6 I'd use it
instead.  I will not use any Ubuntu official distro, but LM21.3 doesn't
have Snap packages.  I will not use snap.  I do use flatpak for things on
Debian that are way out of date, though.  But flatpak is completely open
source.   The next time I update my production remote backend, I'll most
likely move it to LM. It makes MythTV cleaner for me without snaps.  Now I
use Kubuntu but I've removed snaps completely.

JIm A