[mythtv-users] Are there any 4k themes for mythfrontend?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 03:31:59 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 1:29 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> Since I have been using MythTV with my new LG C3 48" 4K TV for the
> last couple of days, I have found an interesting problem.  The
> slightly modified version of the MythCenter-wide theme that I am using
> works OK at 3840x2160, but wastes a lot of usable space due to having
> huge text.  At 1920x1080 on my old 32" 1080p TV, the text size was
> good at my watching distance of 2.2 metres.  But now it is quite a bit
> larger than it needs to be, and if it could be made smaller a lot more
> data could be fitted on to the screen, such as many more recordings on
> the recordings list.  But I have been unable to find any themes that
> are designed for a 4K 3840x2160 screen size.  Does anyone know of any?
>
> It looks like it would be quite a difficult job to modify
> MythCenter-wide to work well at 4K, as virtually all the numbers in
> the theme files would need to be altered in the right proportions. How
> do theme designers do this sort of thing - is it just by tediously
> going through all the files and manually making the changes and
> testing them?

At some point I may create a "Steppes-small" theme for large TVs. Until
then, one thing you can play with is "GUI Text Zoom Percentage" under Setup
-> Appearance -> Theme / Screen Settings. With the Steppes theme, 80 to 85
works pretty well on my big TV. A value of 100 represents the theme
designer's chosen font size. Note: you do have to completely restart
mythfrontend for that setting to take effect.

John