[mythtv-users] Web interface scalability issue: Video Gallery

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 12:02:05 UTC 2023

On 9/6/23 17:01, Paul Harrison wrote:

> You should also be able to use your browsers debug tools to see how
> long each network operation takes as well.
>

> Big disclosure I haven't been able to test the latest WebApp but when
> Stuart and I started the initial development the WebApp was very fast
> but as we added more stuff it started to slow down dramatically for me
> but not for Stuart! I was seeing regular delays of 10 to 15 seconds to
> update the screen. We never figured out why I was seeing it and not
> Stuart or what the cause was. Angular does shift most processing to
> the client end ie the machine running the browser rather than what is
> more traditional with stuff like php where most of the processing is
> done at the server end. At the time I was using a 16 core Ryzen 7 so
> it can't be lack of processing power on the client end. I was running
> the BE in a ESXI virtual machine which may have contributed to the
> slow down since the WebApp does sent many requests to the backends
> services API but I never found any evidence to support that idea.
>

> If Jan is seeing many of the screens showing very slow update times
> then she may be seeing the same thing I was. If it's just one screen
> then it's likely something else. One thing you need to know with
> Angular is that it is basically one giant web page that has the entire
> WebApp on it. Angular just hides and shows stuff based on what the
> user clicks on once the page is loaded. It does mean that the initial
> hundred megabyte? of data for the entire WebApp before it shows the
> page you want. At least that is the way I believe it works.

While developing the code I have found in some cases unacceptably long
cases I fixed it by switching to a virtual list with lazy load. That was
an immediate huge improvement. I have the code ready to switch videos to
a virtual list with lazy load. I want to make sure that the problem the
user is experiencing is on the angular side, not the server side. Lazy
load will not help if the server is taking a long time to produce the list.

Peter