[mythtv-users] Web interface scalability issue: Video Gallery

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 7 08:46:45 UTC 2023

On 06/09/2023 22:01, Paul Harrison wrote:

> Big disclosure I haven't been able to test the latest WebApp but when Stuart and I started the
> initial development the WebApp was very fast but as we added more stuff it started to slow down
> dramatically for me but not for Stuart! I was seeing regular delays of 10 to 15 seconds to update
> the screen. We never figured out why I was seeing it and not Stuart or what the cause was. Angular
> does shift most processing to the client end ie the machine running the browser rather than what is
> more traditional with stuff like php where most of the processing is done at the server end. At the
> time I was using a 16 core Ryzen 7 so it can't be lack of processing power on the client end. I was
> running the BE in a ESXI virtual machine which may have contributed to the slow down since the
> WebApp does sent many requests to the backends services API but I never found any evidence to
> support that idea.
>

> If Jan is seeing many of the screens showing very slow update times then she may be seeing the same
> thing I was. If it's just one screen then it's likely something else. One thing you need to know
> with Angular is that it is basically one giant web page that has the entire WebApp on it. Angular
> just hides and shows stuff based on what the user clicks on once the page is loaded. It does mean
> that the initial loading is always slow since the browser has to pull the several hundred megabyte?
> of data for the entire WebApp before it shows the page you want. At least that is the way I believe
> it works.

Anecdotal note: I have recently upgraded my main backend from Debian Buster(11) to Bookworm(12). To
my surprise I now find that loading both Firefox and Thunderbird take many seconds, in TB this can
be up to 20 or so before I see anything on screen.

In all cases my main server stays on 24/7, which means that once loaded the images should be in
cache and, previously, both loaded almost instantly. I have discovered changes to both FF and TB but
I suspect the main culprit is something in systemd, which I have neither the time nor patience to debug.

What you are seeing may be more of the same.

--

Mike Perkins