[mythtv-users] Web interface scalability issue: Video Gallery

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 13:14:53 UTC 2023

On 9/3/23 17:08, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/3/23 13:56, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am a mythweb user of many years, but clearly I will need to start
>> using the new alternative on port 6544 some time soon.
>>
>> So I took a look and I noticed that the Video Gallery takes very long to
>> appear. Meanwhile the backend is maxed out on one core.
>>
>> I have quite an extensive collection of movies and series, consisting of
>> 5429 files that are located on 4 SSDs across multiple levels of
>> directories underneath /mnt/disk?/mythtv/videos/. As I said these are
>> SSDs (SATA-connected), so quite fast. The backend's CPU is a 4GHz Intel
>> i3-8350K, and the box also has plenty of RAM (32GB).
>>
>> Should I report this as a bug?
>>
>> Many thanks, Jan
>
> Thanks for testing this. I have about 1500 videos (on hard drive) and
> it takes between 1 and 2 seconds. With 5500 videos I would expect no
> more than 7 seconds.
>
> I can investigate using a lazy load for videos. That may conflict with
> the directory listing scheme I have, where directories are listed and
> you can drill down.
>
> Do you use directories?
>
> When it takes a long time, how many rows are reported (at the top
> level each direcory is a row)?
>
> Does clicking on a directory to see its contents also take a long time?
>
> Does clicking back on Videos at the top after looking at a
> subdirectory also take a long time?
>
> Peter

I don't know why you have this problem. I loaded 7531 videos on to my
laptop running mythbackend. Running the browser on the same laptop, it
takes 3 seconds to refresh the 242 rows (directories and files) in the
root directory of the storage group. Clicking "Flatten Directory so that
it displays all 7531 rows at once takes 7 seconds.

This laptop has a i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz and 16 GB ram.

Paasmark benchmarks for the CPUs

i3-8350K: 6928

i5-9300H : 7658

Yours is slightly slower than mine, but not significantly, and I have
more files in my system.

Are you running the browser on the same machine as the backend? Maybe
the browser is on a slow machine?

Peter