[mythtv-users] New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:55:29 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 11:11 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/30/23 09:59, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 9:10 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb
>>
>> There is a new web application in the master branch. Running on
>> http://backend:6744, it supports everything in mythtv-setup. It will
>> replace mythtv-setup and allow you to do the complete setup through a
>> browser. mythbackend can start up without a database and you can then
>> set up the database and the rest of MythTV through the browser.
>>
>> Also included are pages to replace mythweb. Currently these include
>> Backend Status, Channel Editor, Program Guide, Recordings, and Upcoming.
>> The program guide supports scheduling of recordings, and programs that
>> are scheduled are highlighted in the guide. Recordings can be filtered
>> and sorted, and various update options are provided.
>>
>> I will be adding pages for recording rules and videos, and updating the
>> recordings and upcoming pages to allow rescheduling from those pages.
>>
>> I would appreciate it if people can test this and report back any
>> issues. I have added support for all capture card types but I cannot
>> test most of them as I do not have the hardware or the appropriate TV
>> signals. Also the satellite settings that are available with DVB cards
>> are extensive and I cannot verify that they are working correctly.
>>
>> If you find any problems or have questions please report them with a
>> comment to this issue
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/239
>> or email me.
>>
>> The system caters for language translation. Translations have not been
>> done yet.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> This sounds like a great app.  I will be testing and reporting for ATSC
> 1.0 tuners, HDHR and Hauppauge WinTVHD Quad where I can.
>
> So to start on the right path.  If I build from source and install
> mariadb. Do I create the systemd service for mythtv-backend and
> enable/start it and then go to the webapp??
>
> Jim A
>

> That should work. If you do not have a .mythtv directory and a config.xml,
> the backend will start without the database and let you enter the db
> credentials. It will then instruct you to restart with the restart button
> included on the page. After that you will be able to continue with the rest
> of setup.
>
> You can also try it out with an existing installation if you have the
> latest master build. Go to the cogwheel icon and you can change settings,
> add tuners, etc., etc.
>
> When you start mythbackend without a database or without IP address
> settings, the webapp will go directly to the setup pages. Once basic setup
> is done it will go to the default main page and you can access setup via
> the cogwheel.
>
> Let me know of any questions or problems.
>
> Peter

So here's what I found.  I could not get the mythtv-backend.serivce to run
without an error, but I could open a terminal and just run mythbackend.
Then point a browser to the ip:6744  and that started at setup.

I also could not use the mysql script for creating the user that is in the
webapp.  So I had to use the one from the Build from Source wiki page:

mysql -u root -p
create database mythconverg;
create user 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mythtv';
create user 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'mythtv';