[mythtv-users] New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:09:14 UTC 2023

On 5/30/23 09:59, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 9:10 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb
>
>     There is a new web application in the master branch. Running on
>     http://backend:6744, it supports everything in mythtv-setup. It will
>     replace mythtv-setup and allow you to do the complete setup through a
>     browser. mythbackend can start up without a database and you can then
>     set up the database and the rest of MythTV through the browser.
>
>     Also included are pages to replace mythweb. Currently these include
>     Backend Status, Channel Editor, Program Guide, Recordings, and
>     Upcoming.
>     The program guide supports scheduling of recordings, and programs
>     that
>     are scheduled are highlighted in the guide. Recordings can be
>     filtered
>     and sorted, and various update options are provided.
>
>     I will be adding pages for recording rules and videos, and
>     updating the
>     recordings and upcoming pages to allow rescheduling from those pages.
>
>     I would appreciate it if people can test this and report back any
>     issues. I have added support for all capture card types but I cannot
>     test most of them as I do not have the hardware or the appropriate TV
>     signals. Also the satellite settings that are available with DVB
>     cards
>     are extensive and I cannot verify that they are working correctly.
>
>     If you find any problems or have questions please report them with a
>     comment to this issue
>     https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/239
>     or email me.
>
>     The system caters for language translation. Translations have not
>     been
>     done yet.
>
>     Peter
>
> This sounds like a great app.  I will be testing and reporting for
> ATSC 1.0 tuners, HDHR and Hauppauge WinTVHD Quad where I can.
>
> So to start on the right path.  If I build from source and install
> mariadb. Do I create the systemd service for mythtv-backend and
> enable/start it and then go to the webapp??
>
> Jim A

That should work. If you do not have a .mythtv directory and a
config.xml, the backend will start without the database and let you
enter the db credentials. It will then instruct you to restart with the
restart button included on the page. After that you will be able to
continue with the rest of setup.

You can also try it out with an existing installation if you have the
latest master build. Go to the cogwheel icon and you can change
settings, add tuners, etc., etc.

When you start mythbackend without a database or without IP address
settings, the webapp will go directly to the setup pages. Once basic
setup is done it will go to the default main page and you can access
setup via the cogwheel.

Let me know of any questions or problems.

Peter