[mythtv-users] homewrun firmware

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:29:15 UTC 2023

> On May 19, 2023, at 12:49 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 9:09 PM faginbagin <helen.buus at gmail.com <mailto:helen.buus at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> > Be sure you have a LTE filter (LTE interference
>> > can result in really inconsistent results which
>> > can also be transitory in nature).
>> >
>> > If you use the SD app (or equivalent) and
>> > monitor the numbers, and see continuous
>> > significant variations in SS/SQ there may
>> > be obstructions the Fresnel zone which
>> > need to be addressed.
>>
>> I'm not sure what happened to my tuner could be called transitory. As I
>> recall,over a few days, recordings on one channel in particular had lots
>> of errors, getting increasingly worse to the point of total failure (0
>> byte recordings). When I used the HDHR config gui, I could see the SS/SQ
>> numbers were way down, and when I compared a channel scan using:
>> hdhomerun_config ${device} scan ${tuner} tuner${tuner}-scan.out
>> to one done months earlier, I could see SS/SQ changes to other channels
>> as well. So the problems persisted for at least 48 hours until I power
>> cycled and SS/SQ were restored to the months earlier levels.  Not what
>> I'd call transient. Or am I missing something?

If there are a lot of trees between your antenna and the location of the broadcast towers, and if it is breezy, the signal can become erratic. I have had this problem at our last house where the leaves  moving would upset the signal. During the wintertime with the leaves off the trees there is less of an effect from the wind and barren trees.  I only include this as information as additional things that can upset receiving signal.

Also depending where you are, there can be tropospheric effects on the quality of the signal you are receiving. An excellent resource for seeing the
Current effects from tropospheric disturbances is here:

https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
When you see the conditions for today, there is a ‘monster’ in the Gulf of Mexico and off of the southeast coast of the US that rears its ugly head as the weather changes!

From what you have described, it doesn’t sound like you have a problem with your ability to receive a good signal, just having problems with the signal getting to your antenna .  How far are the broadcast antenna from your location?

If you want a good resource for signal pickup, I would suggest the following site:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forums/over-the-air-ota-digital-television.81/

There is a lot of information as well as several knowledgable people on the forums.

Regards