[mythtv-users] AndroidTV and leanfront: occasional 'ear-protection' limit

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat May 13 07:31:43 UTC 2023

On Fri, 12 May 2023 19:51:58 -0400, you wrote:

>John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>> Perps that was too much info.  I want analog audio, which the manufacturer
>> provides only from the headphone socket.  The manufacturer also provides
>> digital audio, either optically or via HDMI ARC.
>
>OK, optical to RCA stereo is easy enough.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B00KNNSKV0
>$14 and it even comes with the TOSLink optical cable.
>

>or for $28 you can get one that will do HDMI audio extraction as
>well:
>https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Multifunction-Extractor-Adapter-Toslink/dp/B07PWJSJ97
>
>Either one of these should solve your problem by moving the
>output from the safety-switched headphone jack to the line-level
>digital outputs, which then get decoded into analog.
>
>-dsr-

Of course, if you use a device like that, you have to remember that it
will contain a DAC (digital to analogue converter), and at that price
the DAC will be pretty bad quality and hence the sound quality will
suffer.  Of course, the DAC in your TV may already be pretty bad as
TVs are not renowned for good quality audio.

I always ignore the TV's audio and get digital audio sent to a good
quality DAC.  After my excellent old CD player/DAC developed a fault,
I recently invested in one of these:

FiiO Q7
https://www.fiio.com/q7

With that, the DAC is audiophile quality and the limiting factor in
the audio is now the quality of the source, which is not always very
good for TV recordings, but can be pretty good for downloaded video.
And my FLAC copies of my CDs sound very good.  I have my MythTV box
connected to the Q7 via TOSLINK at the moment, as the drivers I have
to use for my TBS DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 tuners have a bug that makes the
USB audio connection not work.  I intend to try fixing that bug when I
have some spare time.  The Q7 outputs directly to my Sennheiser HD600
headphones (it has a proper headphone amp builtin) and also to my main
amp (Plinius SA50, class A) and my speakers (Acoustic Energy AE1).  It
has different output modes for line out and headphone out on the same
sockets, the setting for which is annoyingly fiddly to change, but it
works well.

Since the Q7 is portable, I can take it and my headphones with me when
I go away from home and plug it into my laptop's MythTV setup via USB.
Or plug it into my phone or tablet to play music from them.