[mythtv-users] AndroidTV and leanfront: occasional 'ear-protection' limit

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 15:11:14 UTC 2023

On 12/05/2023 14:25, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 5/10/23 16:03, John Pilkington wrote:
>>>

>>> Is it possible that the TV has a stereo pair of RCA jack outputs on the
>>> back? If so, that would be a preferable output to your music
>>> system, and shouldn't pass through the TV's limiter function at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> -dsr-
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but I think the answer is No.
>>
>> The supported Audio outputs appear to be HDMI ARC and digital optical,
>> both two channel linear PCM 48 kHz 16 bits, or Dolby Audio.
>>
>> A footnote tells me to 'Connect your audio system to the HDMI IN 1 to
>> route TV audio to your audio system'.  Strangely, my stereo doesn't
>> have an HDMI socket.
>>
>> Even the headphone socket seems to be an endangered species now.
>> Headphones are wireless and audio systems are soundbars or other
>> digital exotica.  I expect I shall stay with what I've got.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John
>>
> I am confused. I thought that a Sony Android TV was a TV with android
> built in. So you are driving your stereo from the TV headphone socket,
> but the second and third emails say that you are not. Are you running
> leanfront on the TV or on something else?
>
> Peter

I'm fairly sure that the 'ear-protection' drops in volume have been
while running leanfront on the TV's hardware under its Android OS, but
the info above was copied from the TV user's manual (and I could quote
it in 18 other languages).

leanfront gets its content via ethernet, but the TV also has 3 HDMI
inputs as well as DVB and network sources.  One HDMI input comes from
the nVidia card in the Myth FE/BE Fedora box and can display content
from that by mythfrontend, mpv, vlc, browsers, terminals etc.

I find it easy to choose what I'm using, but it wouldn't be a
family-friendly setup.  It's even worse when feeding an HDMI input from
a FireStick, with two different remotes in action.  I don't usually do
that now.

Whatever, I think the ear-protection experience is an Android OS
feature.  The popup display shows a headphone symbol; it actually shows
TV-audio gain rather than absolute output level.

Sorry for the confusion.

John