[mythtv-users] running mythtv-backend in a VM?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:21:46 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 5:17 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 6:36 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > What am I missing?
>
> Nothing, but, as always, your mileage will vary.
>
> Success will depend on your hardware (and
> virtualization solution).  If your hardware is
> sufficiently capable a VM can perform at
> essentially native speed and all devices
> (including usb, disk, network, gpu, and ethernet
> devices) can be used in dedicated "passthrough"
> modes.  In the cases of advanced network
> and gpu devices with sr-iov support, one can
> even share those devices with other VM's
> and the host itself at near native capabilities.
> For many resources that do not have high
> performance or low latency requirements the
> thin virtualization layers can work well.

Sort of planning ahead here.  My production backend is using a Hauppauge
WinTV quadTV tuner PCIe card.  Not sure if that could be run in a KVM/qemu
VM with the right settings. I guess I'd have to know a lot about the memory
address, I/O, and IRQs.

That system sits in a closet and just runs, so I probably will not change
it until the next LTS comes out.