[mythtv-users] running mythtv-backend in a VM?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:11:16 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 6:00 PM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> Incidentally, if you are using ssh -Y jim@<ip-address>, might I suggest
> that you change that to
> mythtv@<ip-address>? You are supposed to be running both the backend and
> setup from user 'mythtv'
> anyway to avoid permissions issues, so why not just log in directly?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I've never tried running as user mythtv only for setup.  The Ubuntu install
takes care of that for me.  I just have to have the mythtv directories
setup for mythtv:mythtv permissions. I have a systemd service/timer to run
the mythfilldatabase and it runs as mythtv. I also sudo su mythtv to set up
xmltv.  So it seems to be fine.

I may just spin up a VM and only use mythtv as the only user and see if
it's easier to deal with.

Jim A