[mythtv-users] KNC-One DVB cards not working with 6.x kernels

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun May 7 19:09:46 UTC 2023

On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 4:28 PM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> After an afternoon of upgrading I found out that my KNC-One DVB-C cards stopped working. These are old PCIbus cards that use the saa7146 chip. It looks like support for the saa7146 chip is dropped from the 6.x series of Linux kernels. Maybe it comes back but for now I will stick with the 5.x kernels.

saa7146 was deprecated at some point (so you could
have gotten it from staging/deprecated if you built your
own kernel with the right options), as no one picked
up support to migrate to current kernel APIs.  In a later
kernel, someone picked it up to give it another chance
(although if no one seriously adopts it long term, it
could, again, move to deprecated status).  A later
6.x kernel should have support.

So, if Linux support for the chip is important to you
(or the manufacturers), you (or the manufacturers)
may need to become a contributor to the support.