[mythtv-users] mythtv on Fedora 38

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:22:44 UTC 2023

On 01/05/2023 16:48, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:48 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/05/2023 14:58, James Abernathy wrote:
>      > I'm experimenting with Fedora 38 on a NUC 1165G7 Gen 11 core i7 and
>      > wanted to install mythtv.  I first tried the rpmfusion method,
>     but got
>      > fatal errors immediately. I also noted that the version was from way
>      > back in February.
>      >
>      > I then tried building from source. That seems to work. Ansible
>     playbook
>      > worked for all the dependencies.  The configure and build seem to
>     work.
>      >
>      > Can I assume from this that most Fedora users build from source
>     or stay
>      > on older versions of Fedora and Mythtv??
>      >
>      > Jim A
>
>     I can't speak for others, but for several years I have been running the
>     last-but-one version of Fedora and building rpms for MythTV master
>     using
>     Gary Buhrmaster's GitHub script.  I prefer to let the Fedora team sort
>     out its early OS update bugs first, so that any bugs I do catch are
>     most
>     likely to be in a recent Myth commit, and can usually get fixed quickly.
>
>     The documented procedures for MythTV DB setup and management in Fedora
>     may well be out of date, and the rpms from Gary's script are not quite
>     the same as those from rpmfusion.  What I do works, most of the time,
>     for me.  I updated to F37 one or two weeks ago.
>
>     John P
>
>     Thanks,
>

> Could you point me to Gary's GitHub script?  I can't find it on his
> github page.
>
> Jim A

The build script is here.  As usual the README isn't fully up to date,
but it built an F37 set of RPMs for me, in F36, a week or so ago.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/main/MythTV/rpm/BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS

The only change I have made is to build from a local 'permanent' copy of
the MythTV Git repo, updated by 'git pull', rather than downloading the
full repo every time.  That has let me occasionally apply git patches
locally, too.  Otherwise it ignored my attempts to patch and rebuilt,
unpatched, from GitHub.