[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 5

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 23:29:06 UTC 2023

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 2:14 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 5:06 PM Steve Greene <sgreene820 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bit on one as a frontend. I noticed our documentation is probably
>> older than the rollout on this model. Has anyone used it? Any changes I
>> should know about?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>
>> Steve Greene
>> (301) 842-8923
>> historicity.co
>> An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
>> moving images and recorded sound.
>>

> I did see on the Mythtv Forum that someone got it working on a P5 with
> Ubuntu and RPI OS
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=26997#p26997

Mostly it on the Pi 4/5 MythTV works out of the box after compiling mythtv
from sources,  I wrote a bit more here. The Pi 5 is noticeably faster than
the Pi 5.

Don't forget to buy the heatsink, the official heatsink/fan is really good,
there was a review on it compared to other solutions and it came out as the
best. After I got the heatsink, I overclocked it a bit, didn't really have
to, but why not, right?

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=26986#p26986
(pasted below)

On the Raspberry Pi 4, eventually things stabilized to the point where it
was usable as one of my primary MythTV frontends which I used daily. The
jump forward and backwards and menu system were a bit laggy, but everything
was usable.

I upgraded to the Raspberry Pi 5, after compiling v33 mythtv from the
source, everything just worked smoothly out of the box with no tuning, no
overclocking, menus responsive, jump forward and backward was quick. But
since I had adequate cooling, I am running the Raspberry Pi 5 overclocked
from 2.4Ghz to -> 2.9Ghz. Unfortunately, 3.0Ghz wasn't stable for me and
kept crashing. Also I am not running 4k since my TV is just HD 1080p.