[mythtv-users] web backend

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Wed Dec 20 22:47:59 UTC 2023


On 20/12/2023 21:23, James Linder wrote:

>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 19:26, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>> A lady phoned support to say her computer was not working. Long troubleshoot “Is the wall plug on”
>> I can’t see it’s dark
>> Turn On the lights
>> I cant, the electric is off
>> Take the computer back to the shop and tell them “I’m too stupid to own a computer”
>>
>> I feel like the lady!
>>
>> My main system is working just fine, from a mythconvg_restore.pl
>>
>> I try to setup a test system using the new browser setup.
>> I can’t find anyway to scan for channels.
>>
>> I fallback to mythtv-setup which core dumps dozens of times, but eventually I get all setup and scanned.
>>
>> webbackend shows my setup (video src, channels, adapter+src  etc) but home says
>>
>> Encoder Status
>> Backend has no encoders
>>
>> When you are finished with updates, restart the backend.
>> [Restart Backend]
>> When you are finished with updates, restart the backend.
>> [Restart Backend]
>> When you are finished with updates, restart the backend.
>> [Restart Backend]
>>
>> There are new messages in the log
>>
>> Service '/services/' introspection complete
>> Service 'Myth' introspection complete
>>
>> As I saiid I feel like the lady. Can anybody rescue me
>> Thanks
>> James
> The coloured “series” “tv show” “movie” “sports” guide entries are exactly what I had in mind. The listing are much easier for me to parse. Thankyou.
>
> I’m making a test system so I really tried hard to setup the new way. I’ll rinse and repeat and document - I did not expect to fail - so I did not document, but it was a dismal failure
> I could not scan for channels
> I could not get mythbackend to start.
>
> I cleaned the database, setup with mythtv-setup. The were lots of core dumps from
> corrupted link list
> null pointer on linked list
>
> I ended with a working system.
>
> My reason for feedback is not criticsm but to show you that dumb users can really screw things up
> I'll save my working setup and try again with a clean database
>
> James


We or at least Stuart and I originally wanted to make the initial setup 
easier but what we got is really just a cut and paste of the old setup 
but using a web interface. I wanted to go with a simple setup wizard 
that would walk new users through the initial setup making sure after 
each step that everything were setup correctly before moving on to the 
next step etc. My thinking was at the end you should have a working 
system with at the very least all the core functions working correctly. 
I'm not a big fan of having to use a web browser to do the setup though 
I would much prefer to be able to do all the setup in the frontend like 
you can with practically most all other DVR's but at least for now we 
are stuck with what we have.


Maybe if we understood better where things went wrong we could improve 
what we have. Certainly nothing should be throwing core dumps :(


Paul H.



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list