[mythtv-users] bug in mythbackend setup

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 15:16:27 UTC 2023

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 10:02 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/23 16:38, James Linder wrote:
>
> Peter thanks
> I can’t think of a way around Some Updates don’t need backend stopped.
> mythtv-setup gives you the option so if eg I was busy recording I could
> update number of virtual channels without breaking the recording
>
> Also eg in QT you CAN’T push a greyed button but here it stoped the
> ‘unsaved’ messages.
> If you were able to harness that then the desperate push could unleash a
>  dialog explaining rather than cluttering your display with a message
> that users need to see once then they always understand.
>
> In QT I would RENDER the button greyed. Pushing it would unleash the
> dialog, and render the button normal.
> Pushing again would save and all hell may break loose, but you were
> warned. (Without the dialog, but with warning is what mythtv-setup does)
> (Actually I would render in say yellow, usually you never push a greyed
> button)
>
> I’n neither asking for, or sugesting that you do, mearly floating ideas
> for you.
>
> I’m using webfrontend everyday now and it is ’nice’ and ‘easy’.
> Thankyou. I cannot contemplate not being able to use a mouse. But as a
> greybeard aspects of the UI that are obvious elude me. My Problem not
> yours.
> EG I asked my grandson how you set the program guide time he said by
> "clicking this". I had tried drop-downs and editing the text field
> (which is cumbersom) but not “clicking this” which you explained to me.
> <sigh>
> James
>
> I am looking for an easy way to solve the problem of people not realizing
> that they cannot save unless they click "Enable Updates". There are 30 save
> buttons in setup and adding a message box and logic to each is more work
> and more risk of screw-ups. Adding the extra message on the screen is easy.
> Options for making setup changes without backend restart:
>
> If you enable updates while a recording is in progress it will not stop
> the recording, but other recordings will not start. Note that next to the
> "enable updates" button it displays the details of the next recording, or
> one in progress, to help you decide.
>
> - You could enable updates, make the changes, then remember to restart
> after the recording is finished.
>
> - You could enable updates, make the changes, then run a command that will
> enable recordings again without a restart (potentially dangerous):
>
>   curl -X POST "http://backend:6544/Myth/ManageScheduler?Enable=true"
> <http://backend:6544/Myth/ManageScheduler?Enable=true>
>
> - I could add a button somewhere with warnings that enables updates
> without disabling recordings (potentially dangerous)
>
> - I could add a button somewhere with warnings that enables recordings
> after updates, without a restart (potentially dangerous)
>
> These scenarios have not been tested.
>
> Peter

I come from the old days of mythtv-setup on Ubuntu where you were told to
stop the mythtv backend before making changes.  I know this was not always
the case for other Distros. That's why a lot of people blew things up when
playing with mythtv-setup.

So I would find it helpful if when you click on the Gear in the left margin
that there was a Warning above the Enable Updates button that told you that
changes don't take effect and can't be saved unless you Enable Updates
first.  I currently see this text below near the Enable Updates button:

Enabling updates will prevent any recordings from taking place until you
restart
Next upcoming recording: College Football at 12/16/2023, 12:00:00 PM.

Maybe the Warning I mentioned above could be in a different color and
larger font??

JIm A