[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Sat Dec 16 14:18:30 UTC 2023

On Sat, 2023-12-16 at 12:42 +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> [...]
> scenarios, but that's my fault for not managing to get it to work on
> master. I've looked further and I can't see what the problem is. I'm
> parking it for now. I might return to it when 34 comes out and
> master,
> for a while, will be close to what I'm running.
>
> I didn't reply to many of your comments because I was hoping to wait
> for
> you to have tried it. Also I have no interest in trying to fix all
> the
> other misbehaviours. Plus, I find it very difficult to read very long
> detailed natural language pros, especially with all the references to
> forced and non-forced. I'm much happier dealing with one point at a
> time.
>
> I've just reread your previous posts. I believe I understand the
> points
> you are making. I'll have one last go to contrast what I think is
> your
> point of view with mine.
>
> I think I've found a better way to explain this with new terminology.
> I'll introduce a 3rd state: in addition to having On and Off, let's
> include Almost Off. I'll use Almost Off to refer to having a forced
> subtitle active. I think Almost Off is a good descriptive term
> because
> when a forced subtitle is active, mostly you see no subtitles. You
> could
> be fooled that subtitles are actually off, until just at a few
> specific
> points in the video, someone speaks Dothraki or Na'vi. I'm reserving
> the
> term On for showing a full subtitle. So in those terms:
>
> (I'm going to assume that the global setting "subtitles enabled" is
> false to keep things simple - for me - I like things simple).
>

> Option 1 - leave it as it is
>
> 	If a video has no forced subtitle track then the player
> starts in the
> Off state. TOGGLECC toggles between Off and On.
>
> 	If a video does have a forced subtitle track then the player
> starts in
> the Almost Off state. TOGGLECC changes internal state, but has no
> effect
> on whether or which subtitle is shown. To get to the On state, you
> have
> to use the menu to explicitly choose a non-forced subtitle. And once
> you've done that, you have to use the menu again if you want to
> return
> to the a forced subtitle.
>
> I think we both agree that that behaviour is not desirable.
>

> Option 2 - my interpretation of what you are suggesting
>
> 	Whether a video has forced subtitles or not, the player
> starts in the
> Off state. TOGGLECC toggles between Off and On. If you want the the
> Almost On state, you have to use the menu to explicitly choose a
> forced
> track, and after doing so, you have to use the menu to get back to

I have not read the entire conversation, but I think this option is
wrong.  If a video has a forced subtitle track and it isn't displayed,
how will the user ever know that it is there and that they need to turn
it on?  The whole point of a forced subtitle is that when the
characters suddenly start speaking Japanese (or Klingon, or whatever)
that you are still able to follow the plot.

> That's certainly an improvement over Option 1. It also has the
> advantage
> that we wouldn't even need the third state: On and Off alone are
> sufficient if we treat all tracks equally. The simplicity is nice. My
> objection is that it throws away a useful feature. I find it very
> useful
> to have a forced track appearing automatically, and to be able to go
> between that and a full track with a single button press.
>

> Option 3 - what my commits do (although seemingly not on master)
>
> 	If a video has no forced track then the player starts in the
> Off state. TOGGLECC toggles between Off and On.
>
> 	If a video does have a forced track then the player starts
> in the
> Almost Off state. TOGGLECC toggles between Almost Off and On. If you
> want no subtitles at all, not even forced then you have to use the
> menu to and select "Disable forced subtitles", whereupon TOGGLECC
> will then toggle between Off and On.
>
> In my opinion this is the optimal behaviour. It has more complexity
> in
> the programming, but is actually easier to use. You can still use
> TOGGLECC to obtain the full subtitles at any time, when you mishear
> something, but you get the non-forced automatically which you're
> likely
> to want because you don't understand Dothraki.

I agree that this is the optimal behavior.

David