[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Thu Dec 14 15:40:37 UTC 2023

On 14/12/2023 13:39, Justin Moore wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 6:54 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:
>
>     I personally don't use subtitles so don't have an opinion but I just
>     want to say it sounds like forced subtitle are a USA thing and I
>     don't
>     think we have ever used them in the UK or probably most of Europe.
>     Are
>     they actually used at all outside of the USA? It would be nice if the
>     solution you come up with will still make sense for the rest of
>     the world :)
>

> Forced subtitles are often used when characters start speaking a
> language other than the "main" one in the movie. E.g., if it's an
> English-language movie and two characters start having a conversation
> in Japanese, forced subtitles will show the English translations of
> what the Japanese-speaking characters are saying.
>
> I think it's common in the US, but I'd be surprised if it's only in
> the US. I mean, unless everyone outside the US is also fluent in
> Klingon or Dothraki, people everywhere will need those subtitles. :)
>
> -justin

In the UK since it's assumed everyone speaks English what you call
forced subtitles would simply be superimposed onto the video. I guess in
the US where both English and Spanish are common it makes more sense to
make them an additional stream so the viewer can choose what language
would be used?

I was just making sure whatever changes are made to the handling of
subtitles take into account not every country uses them. My experience
is with broadcast TV but Paul it seems is talking about videos which is
straying onto slightly dodgy territory since I'm wondering what videos
are legally available with forced subtitles in the UK \0/

Paul H.