[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:39:47 UTC 2023

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 6:54 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> I personally don't use subtitles so don't have an opinion but I just
> want to say it sounds like forced subtitle are a USA thing and I don't
> think we have ever used them in the UK or probably most of Europe. Are
> they actually used at all outside of the USA? It would be nice if the
> solution you come up with will still make sense for the rest of the world
> :)

Forced subtitles are often used when characters start speaking a language
other than the "main" one in the movie. E.g., if it's an English-language
movie and two characters start having a conversation in Japanese, forced
subtitles will show the English translations of what the Japanese-speaking
characters are saying.

I think it's common in the US, but I'd be surprised if it's only in the US.
I mean, unless everyone outside the US is also fluent in Klingon or
Dothraki, people everywhere will need those subtitles. :)

-justin