[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Thu Dec 14 11:52:50 UTC 2023

On 14/12/2023 11:34, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> I've gotten lost now in where this is going. With the first two
>>> commits, the intention is that you get the forced subtitles (if
>>> present) without having to explicitly enable them - when you want
>>> the non-forced subtitles, you just hit the T key (TOGGLECC) to make
>>> them display. When you no longer want the non-forced subtitles, you
>>> hit the T key again to disable them and the forced ones will still
>>> be enabled. If that's not the behaviour you're seeing then perhaps
>>> the commits aren't working correctly on master, or for some videos.
>>
>> @Paul,
>> I had a second look at your first two commits using a well-defined
>> subtitle sample mkv. Unfortunately, I do not see the behavior you
>> mention.
>>
>> Attached is a script to create a small mkv with subtitles (languages,
>> forced, display time is configurable), it uses mkvmerge from
>> mkvooltnix. It needs an input.mkv from which it only uses the video.
>
> Thanks for continuing looking at this. I created a test video with
> your nice script and tested out the feature. Here, I'm running with
> all 3 commits applied on a branch from fixes-33. (I don't run master.
> The difference between master and fixes-33 could be what's leading to
> the confusion: my commits may be interacting badly with some of
> Peter's that are only on the master branch. I'll look more into that
> possibility later).
>
> Anyway, here is what I see with all 3 commits applied to fixes-33:
>
> I start the movie and make no adjustment to any subtitle settings. I
> see subtitles displayed "Using subtitle_eng_forced.srt" and then "This
> is an English Forced Subtitle example."
>
> I then use Right Arrow repeatedly to navigate back to the start of the
> movie and press the T key once. I see subtitles displayed "Using
> subtitle_eng.srt" and then "This is an English Subtitle example."
>
> This is the behaviour the commits were designed to achieve. What do
> you see if you perform the same key presses?
>
> I'm finding the rest of the discussions very confusing because it's
> difficult to tell what behaviours we are talking about when it may be
> working differently on master and fixes-33. I think we need to rule
> out that before we can get anywhere.
>
> Cheers,
>     Paul.

I personally don't use subtitles so don't have an opinion but I just
want to say it sounds like forced subtitle are a USA thing and I don't
think we have ever used them in the UK or probably most of Europe. Are
they actually used at all outside of the USA? It would be nice if the
solution you come up with will still make sense for the rest of the world :)

Paul H.