[mythtv-users] Mythmusic issues.

Timothy Witham twitham at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 04:36:30 UTC 2023

On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 03:46:26 PM CST, A. F. Cano <afc54 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I see.  The "File storage location" field is blank.  Presumably if I put
> "ALBUM" there the directory structure you talk about will be created,

Great point.  I don't recall ever changing this and I have
ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK-TITLE which matches the screenshot at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/CD_Ripper_Settings so I assume this should
be the default.  I'm not sure how yours got blanked.  I recommend
using this value.

> but what happens to the 10 albums I've already entered and whose tracks
> are all mixed up in <mythtv root directory>music?  Do they remain there
> or do new album directories get created and the files moved?  Is there a
> manual procedure to do this?

Current files will remain unchanged and new imports will get the new
paths.  You can either manually mkdir and rename the wrong files or
use a tool like puddletag to automate this.

> Yeah, nothing like being behind the times by decades...  Shortly after I
> wrote the above, I found the wikipedia page for cddb which did exactly
> that.  Too bad it went private/commercial.

Agree.  Wow, cddb is 3 decades old!  Per

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_music_databases

discogs might be the most complete source these days, but I assume the
format is different.

> Thanks for replying.  As of now, I did fix all the issues discussed
> above.  I will try importing with vlc in the future and see how that
> goes.

Thanks for the database examples.  I'm not sure which ripper to
recommend on Linux.  I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.

-Tim