[mythtv-users] GetScreenShot in Android (Fire TV Stick) land?

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 20:57:59 UTC 2023

On 12/4/23 10:30, Will Dormann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Coming from a combined FE/BE background, I had a workflow to grab a
> screenshot of what's currently on the screen.  Which was essentially
> just visit http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot and save the
> image from my web browser.
>
> Now that I've switched over to a Fire TV stick frontend for watching
> recordings, this doesn't appear to be possible anymore. Specifically,
> with the (excellent) Leanfront frontend, I don't even see port 6547
> being listened on while it's running.  And if I use the (not quite as
> nice performance-wise) full-blown MythTV Frontend, I do indeed see it
> listening on 6547 on my Fire TV device, but requests to
> http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot result in a 404.
>
> Is there a way to get a screenshot from what is being displayed on a
> Fire TV MythTV frontend?
>

> Thanks
> -WD

Make sure developer mode in enabled on the fire stick and adb is
installed on a computer.

see
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/app-submission/taking-screenshots.html#firetv

An easier way is running adb exec-out screencap -p > sc.png . This
requires a recent adb version. The adb that comes with ubuntu may not be
recent enough. Get the latest version from
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools . Place adb
on your path, e.g. in /usr/local/bin.

Peter