[mythtv-users] Fix for forced subtitle problems

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Dec 4 16:45:03 UTC 2023

On 04/12/2023 14:35, Angela via mythtv-users wrote:
> [...]

It's the behaviour of toggle that is altered - "TV Playback TOGGLECC" -
the command by default assigned to the T key.

> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f26115f19adb07191a3efa6898395e097cc8f353
> Commit "Avoid displaying two AV subtitle tracks simultaneously"
> When I am reading the comments correct, at any given time either a forced and a non-forced can be active. Is it implemented like this?
>
> "This commit ensures that the user enabled one inhibits the forced one.": the forced has prio?
>
> This is not what I would expect. The menu has two toggles for enable/disable the forced and the non-forced, so than I might expect both to be shown simultaneous.
> Any reason for not showing both? I can disable either one when the results are annoying.
>
> As I have in the playback OSD settings "display captions" enabled and forced is always enabled at playback start, I would expect that the forced and a non-forced (with a prio for the user's language) are displayed.

I was uncertain about that last commit. It's worth trying with and
without. I added that commit because I believe that it is common for
non-forced tracks to provide a superset of the text in forced tracks.
Without that last commit, you may often find that you see the same text
twice on screen.

> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/04d6f70aa7685464cc93d4cf2e851500da0cf930
> Commit "Handle forced AV subtitles without needing a forced track to be selected "
> "The new behavior attempts to find a non-forced track for the user's preference and changes the subtitle toggle feature to be between forced and non-forced, rather than on and off."
>
> Are we talking about the following key: "TV Playback	NEXTSUBTITLE	Next subtitle track"
> I do not see any difference in behavior, it has always been "scrolling" through the captions; forced and non-forced.

See above. Perhaps the behaviour of NEXTSUBTITLE could be changed as
well. I haven't thought through that possibility.

Cheers,
	Paul.