[mythtv-users] build on endeverOS

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Dec 1 18:59:45 UTC 2023

> On Nov 23, 2023, at 04:03, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:30 PM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 23, 2023, at 03:01, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 1:51 PM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56 PM James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> > >

> > > make proceeded without a hitch
> > > make install
> > >
> > > make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> > > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> > > python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
> > >     import setuptools
> > > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> > > make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> > > make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
> > >
> > > Anybody have ideas please …
> > >
> > > James
> > >

> > > The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
> > >
> > > Roland
> > >
> > > FYI, on the  post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
> > >
> > > It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
> >
> > I setup a VM running SuSE,  built mythtv (which I’ve done before, successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub project
> > that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on geolocation.
> >
> > I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
> >
> > But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
> >
> > James
> >

> > I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year.  I could never get Mythtv to work.  That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS. I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best.  All Distros support VM so that's easy.
>
> Heh Heh the tables are turned :-)
>
> I just compiled, setup and have a working frontend. Can I help? What problems did you have?
>
> James
>

> I can't remember the problems I had, but just playing with OpenSuSE convinced me that I wanted no part of it as an OS that I wanted to use.

Jim I decided to give enderverOS another whirl carefully following
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567
exactly.

So much happens across

Code: Select all
yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
take defaults on options, except the package to edit. Select the number of "mythtv-git".
Change the source= for
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
and change to
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"

save and exit to continue build. Take defaults and enter password when required.

and I see nowhere / noway to set
git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master

So I build
mythtv-git-33.1.r23.g4112015bfe