[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - MythTV wins again!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 26 15:02:55 UTC 2022

> On Thu, 26 May 2022 06:01:14 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> But the DVR for Cable, Satellite, and streaming services like YoutubeTV, DirecTV Streaming, etc. only allow fast forwarding or rewind like a VHS tape and you have to guess when to stop.
>
> You do realise that this is deliberate so that you are forced to watch
> the advertising?  Here in New Zealand, our FTA service is called
> "Freeview" and any equipment that is "Freeview Certified" is certified
> to not be able to skip over the ads - it is one of the conditions of
> certification that fast forward and rewind as in VCRs is allowed, but
> skipping like MythTV does is not.

Curious. Here in the UK we have an old YouView box, originally provided by BT, which does our
version of Freeview plus anything else BT cares to let down the wires (upon payment, of course).
Oddly, considering its age, the software is kept reasonably up-to-date.

The box has Fast Forward and Rewind but also has Skip Forward and Skip Back, though there appears to
be no way to set the skip times. We do use it occasionally to pause live TV - usually some news
program or documentary - when something urgent comes up, like making more coffee.

It looks like the rules this box uses are slightly different from those Down Even More Under.

--

Mike Perkins