[mythtv-users] rambling

James jam at tigger.ws
Thu May 26 14:25:12 UTC 2022

> On 26 May 2022, at 9:48 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 26 May 2022 20:03:45 +0800, you wrote:
>
>> My backend NUC fan started to whine, so I put in a gen11 i7.
>
> Fans can be replaced, and some can just be opened up and a drop of oil
> added to fix things like this.

But if you have ever tried to do that on a nuc without a swiss watchmaker guild certificate ...

>> For yonks I used fixes/31, self compiled on SuSE leap15.2. Nothing ever was amiss.
>>
>> Leap 15.2 won't play nice with gen11. (for the non-english members on list that is terrible syntax. :-)
>> Leap 15.3 won't play nice with port forward on my modem. (!!!!!)
>> Tumbleweed gave wayland woes.
>> (either suse fixed, or I stopped being silly, a test box does work now)
>>
>> So I gave in and installed (l)ubuntu 20.04 (22.04 gave me grief) and fixes/32 (again self compiled help from ansible).
>> I run a few VMs so it has 24G ram and 2/4T OF M.2/SATA flash. Myth is configured to use m.2 (2500MB/s)
>>
>> The system starts to run slow (1 sec per char on ssh) top shows nothing significant ie 8G ram used, 16G cache, few 100M swap. (VMs are off)
>> EG watch the news, say buffered 10 min, plays 1min then skips back to beginning. Audio is smooth, video jumps about lots. To heck, run optimize DB, playback is lots better but still full of artifacts. Exit. Restarts at correct point and plays smoothly for a minute or so, then same old..
>>
>> I need to do something! Have I uncovered warts with lubuntu or fixes/32?
>> James
>
> It might pay to try the Ubuntu packages for MythTV - you may have a
> build option wrong somewhere, and the v32 prebuilt packages are fine
> for Ubuntu.  Uninstall your version and do this:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/32
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install mythtv
>
> Also, what video card are you using?  There are some very strange
> things that happen if you do not have the right drivers and matching
> MythTV settings.

Before the days of
$ sudo mysql mythconverg

Their anal obsession of not using -pmythtv drove me nuts, as does the obsession with user 'mythtv'

My backend is not a frontend. I often use a macbook as the frontend and that hardware has not changed from 31 days although John and I spent days-n-days sorting out a 32 build which may indeed do different stuff with the graphics

Thanks for the heads-up on ubuntu and 32.
I've been using it like this for a month, so I've time to think. besides the VMs are doing important stuff

I guess I wanted to hear that someone was using mythtv on ubuntu.
James Abernathy is using a newish nuc as a backend, what distro are you using?
James