[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct JSON service changes 2022-05-20

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun May 22 17:09:23 UTC 2022

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 4:20 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> When they talk about being "API compliant" are they referring to being
> compliant specifically with Schedules Direct's API documentation?

Yes.  That documentation was written back in 2014,
and lots of independent apps implemented it in their
own way.

> It's
> pretty odd that the zz_sdjson would have worked before and then broken
> so badly for some users...though I suppose the new service could be
> doing things that are in fact compliant that the zz_sdjson grabber
> doesn't handle properly.

Not at all.  Some SDJSON consuming application
developers reported issues that once they looked
they realized they had not followed the SD API
(and fixed their application for the new endpoint,
which also works with the old endpoint).

The current guess (and it is admittedly just a
guess, but since another grabber and some
other apps are reportedly pulling the same
source data and are not having issues, it is
not a terrible guess) is that the zz_sdjson grabber
has one/more equivalent internal issues.

It could easily be a trivial thing to adjust, or
something more.  Hopefully interested parties
will contribute the fix(es).

However, now that the endpoint is offline, I
doubt anyone who is interested is going to be
able to work the issue in any case.

> Personally I have no idea what to do at this point.

It is unclear what SD's next steps will be.  Waiting
might be the best option if you are concerned
about moving to the zz_sdjson_sqlite grabber.