[mythtv-users] Moving my MythDB

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed May 11 05:01:04 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 10:18:16 P.M. MDT Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 21:04:27 -0600, you wrote:
> >Does anyone store their Myth DB somewhere other than where Myth puts it?
> >
> >How would I do that?
>
> The location of the mythconverg database is determined by MySQL or
> MariaDB, not MythTV.  As far as I know, neither has an option to store
> the databases anywhere other than one location - if you want to move
> the files somewhere else, you have to move the entire set of
> databases, not just the mythconverg database.  The location for Ubuntu
> is /var/lib/mysql.  This location is set by the "datadir" option in
> the config files under /etc/mysql, and there are various pages on the
> web that can tell you how to move the entire directory.  You may need
> to also change apparmor settings if you move it.
>
> It is possible to store the database on a completely different machine
> - MythTV is happy to use a remote database server.
>
> So why do you want to move the database?

I'm doing some "infrastructure" janitorial work on all my machines and noticed
that my "pretty-important" database is buried in /var/lib/mysql and that's
bugging the program/data separation that I usually go for. I haven't cared for
15+ years, but now that I do, I do. :)

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.HeIsJerome.com